Published on 29 - June - 2011
Fire destroys Wilmslow garden centre70 firefighters required to tackle a huge blaze at the centre on Manchester Road this morning but thankfully no one was injured.
Fire crews were called just after 5.30am following reports of smoke coming from Wilmslow Garden Centre, which is part of the Klondyke Group.
The blaze spread to four greenhouses on the site, each measuring around 40m by 20m and, while the full extent of the damage is still unknown, Klondyke chief executive Bob Hewitt told DIY Week he understands that about two-thirds of the garden centre has been destroyed.
He added: "We've got somebody from head office on their way there now. Then we'll find out more. They need to assess the damage and then we will probably have to look at re-building."
The centre is one of the largest in the Klondyke group, with plant area, landscaping division, clothes shop, café and pets and aquatics department all on site. At the height of the blaze, a total of 70 firefighters were involved in tackling the incident, with 15 pumps and two hydraulic platforms dispatched to the scene.
According to Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, crews were able to remove a quantity of fireworks and fertilisers from a store at the centre in order to prevent a possible explosion. A number of gas cylinders on the premises also had to be cooled.
Luckily no one was injured in the fire, as no members of staff were on site at the time.
Mr Hewitt explained the centre would remain closed and that staff would be relocated to two other Klondyke centres in the Manchester area for the time being.
DIYWeek.net does not edit comments which are submitted directly by our users to express their own views. Please report abuse of our comment system here.
© Datateam Business Media Limited 2011. DIY Week.net news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.