Firefighters tackled a blaze at an independent hardware store in the centre of Farnborough yesterday, where a woman was treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters from Rushmoor, Basingstoke and Surrey tackled a fire on the ground floor of Farnborough Hardware Store in Queensmead in Farnborough centre on Sunday, June 17.
Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service said in statement that fire crews “tackled the fire with 12 sets of breathing apparatus, two jets, three hose reels and use of a positive pressure ventilation system to clear the scene”, adding that “a female was treated by crews for smoke inhalation”.
Witnesses were reported to have heard several explosions coming from the store before smoke began pouring out of the shop doors. The public were advised to avoid the area to respect cordons that were set up to keep the crowds back, as hundreds of people watched the incident unfold.
Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service said that the cause of the fire, which was put out just after 2.10pm, “will be investigated in due course”.
The 2,000sq ft unit is owned by Sanjay Patel and has been trading since 1995. The extent of the damage is unknown when the hardware and there is no information on when the hardware shop will be open again